Welcome to Chesapeake Experience
We create on-the-water hands-on, educational experiences for students teachers and the general public to increase stewardship of the Chesapeake Bay watershed
This nine-month position with Chesapeake Experience offers a wide range of experiences in environmental education and youth development. In the spring and fall, the position involves working with the director and a team of educators to help plan and lead field experiences (primarily in kayaks) for students, teachers and the general public at multiple locations in the Hampton Roads area. From June through August this position switches to a summer camp leader position. Qualified candidates will be trained to manage a camp location, including making daily schedules, preparing materials, and overseeing and mentoring camp interns. Other responsibilities include leading campers through daily activities, crafts and games about the environment, preparing and cleaning up of kayaks and equipment, planning field activities as well as ensuring the health and safety of the students and/or campers at all times.
Hours: 15-30/week during fall, spring and summer seasons. Winter is off-season with minimal hours.
Salary: Hourly wage based on experience.
Required Education & Skills
– Four-year college degree
- Willingness to work with students of all ages
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Ability to maintain a fun and safe learning environment at all times
- Ability to manage groups of up to 30 students in an outdoor setting
- Cultural competency working with urban and/or diverse populations
- Willingness to work outdoors in hot and cold weather
- Willingness to collaborate with other educators in evaluating programs and developing activities
- Willingness to give and receive feedback
- Possess excellent team skills
- Ability to manage a schedule and meet deadlines
-Willingness to travel
-Willing to work some weekends
- Background in education or environmental science
- Experience in a supervisory role
- CPR/first aid certification
Physical Job Requirements:
Most programs involve kayaking therefore educators must be comfortable:
- on the water
- towing young children and
- lifting kayaks on and off a trailer.
How to Apply
Send Resume to Adrienne@chesapeakeExperience.org